- Home /
- Tag List: Joseph Smith
Artifacts with Tag :: Joseph Smith
The County Courthouse has seen many changes since the first one was built in nearly 180 years ago. According to Carol Clark, the first courthouse built in town was also the second log cabin in town and was located at the corner of North Main St. and Archer Avenue. Construction started for the second courthouse on March 7, 1835, but it was determined that a better building was needed and it was never completed. The third building, which stood in the front yard of the current courthouse, was completed in 1841 and served for 54 years until the current courthouse was finished in 1895. Since then, the courthouse has become a staple of Monmouth's public square with only one major change (the removal of the clock tower) in nearly 120 years of service.
The Warren County Virtual Museum
Web application copyright © 2017, City of Monmouth, Illinois. Owners retain copyright to their respective works.
Page rendered in 0.0200
seconds | Memory usage: 3.58MB