- Home /
- Tag List: Government
Artifacts with Tag :: Government
Stone buildings were very expensive and this form of architecture was the most expensive compared to others.
The architecture of Warren County Courthouse is Richardsonian, which is also known as Richardsonian Romanesque Style.
This form of architecture was inspired by the ancient Romans, but the architect Henry Hobson Richardson put his own unique taste into this form of architecture. Churches in the Middle East had this type of architecture and this style was then incorporated in the American churches.
The Richardsonian Romanesque style was then also used on public buildings, commercial buildings and then residential homes.
Richardsonian architecture became more popular around 1870.
This style is described as infrequent and sculpted shapes. The buildings that had this form of architecture tended to have a square shape called Ashlar, with rough exposed faces. Roofs were often round and polygonal towers.
Buildings tended to be built of solid masonry stone and mixed with bricks. Limestone and sandstone were also used.
The Warren County Courthouse originally had a taller center tower with a Seth Thomas clock, but was later removed.
The courthouse also had a statue of Lady Liberty on the front gable, but it was blown down in a windstorm in 1895.
The courthouse has a variety of services for the community.
On the first floor one can do small claims, child support, and bookkeeping.
On the east side of the 2nd floor of the Courthouse is the Warren County Clerks Office.
The recorders office is located south or right of the elevator.
The election office is located north or left of the elevator.
All other Civil Divisions and the Criminal Division are located on the third floor office.
1909 Old Guard. Grandfather of John Wayne pictured.
Grand Army of Republic Flag of officers and enlisted men. This was the reconstruction and politics after the war. Showed support and care for soldiers, orphans, and widows. It represented protection for the disabled and show appreciate for service.
Largest number of men served in the 83rd Infantry.
83rd Infantry stationed at Fort Donelson from 1863-1865. Pictured is grandfather of John Wayne, Marion Morrison.
Written by Private Forrest G. Holmes from WWI in France Army Colonel F 311 Engineers Divison 86 1918-1919.
WWI soldier group photo
WWI German infantry Helmet.
Private Elmer Davis 38th Infantry, 3rd Division American Expeditionary force.
WWI loyalty card. Warren County Neighborhood Committee of the State Council of Defense of Illinois.
WWI Helmet worn by Martimer Tinker.
Viewing Company- 9,500,000 men registered June 5, 1917. 500,000 selected and put into 16 Army components. 30,000 men comprised each component.
100 block North Main that supplied companies with type writers and office supplies.
WWI full uniform.
The Warren County Virtual Museum
Web application copyright © 2017, City of Monmouth, Illinois. Owners retain copyright to their respective works.
Page rendered in 0.0401
seconds | Memory usage: 3.62MB