- Home /
- Tag List: Architecture
Artifacts with Tag :: Architecture
Built in 1891, The Patton Block building has been a staple of downtown Monmouth for over 120 years. The building was named after Robert S. Patton, a successful farmer who had an eye for business, who invested a total of approximately $375,000 in today's standards to build the state-of-the-art building that would house countless tenants over the years ranging from bakers and jewelers to doctors and even a business school.
Built in 1871, this structure is within the downtown historic district. Inside, the floors were white and green marble, with 20' ceilings and plaster crown moldings. There is one vault in the basement, two on the main floor and a fourth on the second floor.
Stone buildings were very expensive and this form of architecture was the most expensive compared to others.
The architecture of Warren County Courthouse is Richardsonian, which is also known as Richardsonian Romanesque Style.
This form of architecture was inspired by the ancient Romans, but the architect Henry Hobson Richardson put his own unique taste into this form of architecture. Churches in the Middle East had this type of architecture and this style was then incorporated in the American churches.
The Richardsonian Romanesque style was then also used on public buildings, commercial buildings and then residential homes.
Richardsonian architecture became more popular around 1870.
This style is described as infrequent and sculpted shapes. The buildings that had this form of architecture tended to have a square shape called Ashlar, with rough exposed faces. Roofs were often round and polygonal towers.
Buildings tended to be built of solid masonry stone and mixed with bricks. Limestone and sandstone were also used.
Bowman Shoe Store was opened in 1939 by Allen and Algot Bowman. Throughout the years, the name changed between Bowman Shoe Store and Bowman Brothers Shoe Store, depending on the ownership at the time.
Many citizens of Monmouth during the time of Bowman Shoe Store may remember having their feet X-Rayed in a fluoroscope, which was used to determine how well each foot fit into the shoe. It was a common fixture in many shoe stores across the country between the 1930s and 1950s.
Bowman Shoe Store was a common place for young children to get their school and church shoes, which were often the only two pairs of shoes they owned. In all, the Bowmans owned 17 different shoe stores, most in small towns similar to Monmouth.
Bowman Shoe Store remained an integral part of the Monmouth community until its closing in 1995.
The Warren County Virtual Museum
Web application copyright © 2017, City of Monmouth, Illinois. Owners retain copyright to their respective works.
Page rendered in 0.0196
seconds | Memory usage: 3.59MB