Artifact :: Warren County Courthouse

Images
  • The Current Courthouse
  • Courthouse with Clocktower
  • Courthouse #3

The County Courthouse has seen many changes since the first one was built in nearly 180 years ago. According to Carol Clark, the first courthouse built in town was also the second log cabin in town and was located at the corner of North Main St. and Archer Avenue. Construction started for the second courthouse on March 7, 1835, but it was determined that a better building was needed and it was never completed. The third building, which stood in the front yard of the current courthouse, was completed in 1841 and served for 54 years until the current courthouse was finished in 1895. Since then, the courthouse has become a staple of Monmouth's public square with only one major change (the removal of the clock tower) in nearly 120 years of service.

Artifact
Organization
City of Monmouth
Creator
3
Create Date
2013-06-18 12:17:12
Media Objects
The Current Courthouse
Creator
3
Create Date
2013-06-19 10:18:11
Media Format
image/jpeg
Source
City of Monmouth
Courthouse with Clocktower
Creator
3
Create Date
2013-06-19 10:51:05
Media Format
image/jpeg
Source
City of Monmouth
Coverage (temporal)
1906
Courthouse #3
Creator
3
Create Date
2013-06-19 11:32:34
Media Format
image/jpeg
Source
Warren County Courthouse
Coverage (temporal)
1895
The Warren County Virtual Museum
Web application copyright © 2017, City of Monmouth, Illinois. Owners retain copyright to their respective works.
Page rendered in 0.0321 seconds  |  Memory usage: 3.62MB  |  Curate